Wednesday 31 August 2022

2nd Punic War: Hastati and Velites

Finally, after almost a year of living in a tiny cottage with most of our stuff in storage, we have moved and I have access to my figure mountain of shame.

And this is one of my more crazy ideas, recycling the 20mm/1/72 figures painted around the turn of the century, for a game system I've never used; Hail Caesar.

Originally for DBA, then DBM (and DBMM), then WAB, I've taken the Carts and Romans painted up for those games and started rebasing them, sometimes adding to their numbers by a factor of two. I figured, I liked Black Powder, Warmaster, and WAB, so why not give this a go... completely basing to a new standard and building the collection to nearly 500 figures... and I was trying to move away from the scale!

Both the Hastati and Velites are from the HaT set 8018, Republican Romans Hastati & Velites. Command figures are from the HaT set 8051, Roman Command. The signifier is from the HaT set 8035, Roman Catapults (even now I wonder why the Hastati and Velites in this set are 25mm).

But have to say I like the way they are based now and of all the basing standards, Hail Caesar really gives the 'impression of a unit'.

Hastati Command

One of three commands, painted as a commander of one of the main troop types for the army (Hastati, Principes, Triarii). Although they'll probably end up being the generals for a single legion.

I bought a pack of plastic gems at the local 2-dollar shop and glued them on the Signifer's pole (ooh err... um, I think its called an aquila), then hand painted the details including the little 'H' 😆

Hastati

These guys have finally come up as I'd originally imagined. The shield designs are from Little Big Men Studios Range, specifically designed for the HaT figures. They're a little bit fiddly but are excellent and well worth it. It only took one or two figures before the 'product line' kicked in.
I've gone for the tenth and thirteenth legions, a) because the 13th was Scipio's legion and b) because there were a lot of 'pig' insignia available for the 10th - though I'm not sure they fought the Carts.
Along with the LBM transfers, I got some transfers made for the command figures.

Velites

Two of about eight small light infantry units for the Romans.
Basing all the lights individually seemed like a good idea at the time, but am questioning that choice after only two units. Luckily a mate gave me a whole lot of movement trays 👍

Next up, the Cart's elephants and a veteran spear unit, and maybe some Etruscan Hastati and Principes.

No comments:

Post a Comment