Pages

Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Sudan: Rebasing and Adding Units

I can't believe almost 10 years have passed since I finished a unit from my 20mm (1/72) Sudan collection. I guess I have finished a huge AWI army and many other bits and pieces since then. But having done all that and to keep from going insane painting the recently finished Burgundians, I got the urge to finish this collection off.

Proof, if were needed, that a complete Newline square now exists 😆

Standard British Infantry Units

First up, the two final standard infantry units from Newline Designs to finish a brigade square.

Circa 1882, an army unit in grey serge above, could also be used for Royal Marines from the same campaign. 

To finish the square, the South Staffordshire Regiment who were ordered back into red smocks for the battle of Kirbekan in 1885.

Mounted Infantry

Next up some kit-based mounted infantry with dismounted options.

These are from the HaT Industries 8209 Zulu Wars: British Mounted Infantry box with head conversions. 

Back in 2022, I asked Elhiem Figures - a large producer of metal 20mm alternate heads - if he would take a commission for heads with pith helmets with puggarees (cloth wrapping) for use in the Sudan. He said yes and these are the first unit from HaT's Zulu war range to have had their plastics heads sliced off and replaced with Elheim's HED107 4 British Sudan War Pith helmets.

Primarily, this is to stop me going insane doing scale puggaree conversions - what was I thinking??!

Above, for the dismounted options for mounted infantry units I'm using Newline's Camel Regiment figures as the uniforms were indistinguishable apart from the colour, cord breeches and parent unit smock.

Rebasing the Ansar

At the same time as painting up new figures, I'm rebasing most of the Ansar units for standard Black Powder frontages. This is primarily because - and I can't remember why -  I based them with a different frontage to everything else...

When commissioning the heads I was sure to include a head for the 10th Hussars - with their parade spike added to the helmet as per their campaign in the Sudan. They're up next for this collection, along with, possibly, a unit for the York & Lancaster Regiment.





No comments:

Post a Comment